The town of Kargopol is one of the ancient towns of
northern Russia. During several centuries it played a noticeable
role in the life of ancient Russia as a large trade center and important
outpost in the north-west outlying districts of the country.
Kargopol was connected either directly or indirectly with some important
events of Russian History. Kargopol withstood a siege of foreign
troops twice - in 1612 and 1614. At the beginning of the XVIIth
century the leader of the insurrection of Russian people Ivan Bolotnikov
was exiled to Kargopol. In the second half of the XVIIth century,
in the period of schism the town and its environs became the refuge
Very precious monuments of medieval Russian architecture (the churches
mainly) have been preserved in Kargopol. They show a high level
of building technique and are distinguished by perfect proportions,
varied architectural forms and rich decorations.
The earliest of these buildings is the Nativity Cathedral of 1562.
Its architecture is similar to that of many Russian cathedrals of
that time. But the extensions erected later altered somewhat its
primary austere appearance.
Now there exist only three churches of the XVIIth century in Kargopol:
the church of the Nativity of the Virgin (1678-1680), the church
of the Resurrection (the late XVIIth century), the church of the
Annunciation (1692). The characteristic feature of these churches
which are the pride of Kargopol is the extraordinary beauty of abundant
architectural ornaments. The best of them, the church of Annunciation,
is charming in its graceful proportions, in richness of ornamental
details and in diversity of decorations of its facades (the east
wall is especially beautiful). It is one of the most magnificent
monuments of Russian architecture.
Kargopol churches of the XVIIIth century - the church of St. John
the Precursor (rebuilt in 1751), the cathedral bell tower (1767),
the Trinity church (1790-1802) and the St. Nicholas Cathedral are
built in Russian classical style.
In the first quarter of the XIXth century the church of the Presentation
(1802 or 1809), the churches of St.'s Zosima and Sabbateus (1815-1816)
were constructed and the ancient store ("Gostiny Dvor")
Kargopol is remarkable not only for its beautiful churches. There
were many skilful iconpainters, blacksmiths, silversmiths. The town
was famous for its printed cottons, linen kerchiefs embroidered
with golden threads, earthenware toys.
Scattered in the neighborhood of Kargopol the villages and their
churchyards Asafyevo, Saunino, Bolshaya Shalga, Lyadiny, Berezhnaya
Dubrava and others are peculiar preservations and real treasuries
of wooden architecture of ancient Russia.
Pics will be comming soon!
Another information on Kargopol - kargopol.ru